Đề thi vào lớp 10 Môn Tiếng Anh Sở GD-ĐT Tp HCM năm 2012
KÌ THI TUYỂN SINH LỚP 10 TRUNG HỌC PHỔ THÔNG
ĐỀ CHÍNH THỨC
Môn thi : TIẾNG ANH
Thời gian: 60 phút (không tính thời gian giao đề)
I. Choose the word / phrase (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in each sentence. (2.5 pts)
1. “I won the first prize in the last spelling contest.” –“ __________ “
A. It’s nice of you B. Congratulations! C. Good luck! D. Try harder next time
2. The course __________ a class book, a practice book and an audio tape.
A. consists B. contains C. comprises D. composes
3. I decide not to move to that house __________ its neighborhood is noisy.
A. because B. though C. because of D. so
4. I suggest that all of you __________ hard for the coming exam.
A. working B. to work C. should work D. can work
5. If John were here now, he __________ me with the work.
A. would help B. will help C. may help D. helps
6. Nowadays, __________ can watch a variety of local and international programs on different channels.
A. spectators B. audiences C. seers D. viewers
7. __________ Christmas, children enjoy singing Christmas carols.
A. On B. At C. Since D. For
8. The matches of EURO 2012 are taking place __________ Ukraine and Poland.
A. in B. on C. at D. out of
9. The lady __________ works as a clerk is kind and generous.
A. whom B. that C. she D . whose
10. –Giang: “Your hairstyle is terrific, Lan!” – Lan: “__________”
A.Yes, that’s all right.B. Thanks! I had it done this morning.
C. Thanks for the curls. D. Never mention it.
II. Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting. (0.5 pt)
11. They are reconstructing all the buildings that were collapsed in the devastating storm last week.
A B C D
12. Our teacher of English is very amusing that he easily appeals to us all.
A B C D
III. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage. (1.5 pts)
Every day, in homes all over the world, people waste huge (13)__________ of energy and water. Hong Kong is estimated to waste about $5 billion worth of energy a year. This is due to their bad habits. For example, leaving lights, air-conditioners and televisions on when no one is in the room (14)__________ for wasteful energy consumption. Using too much water, or not (15)__________ dripping taps, also contributes to the problem. Most people do not realize (16)__________ saving energy in the home will actually save them money. If people use (17)__________ energy, gas and electricity bills will become lower. Most of the ways we can use to decrease energy consumption in the home are very simple. The most obvious one is (18)__________ household appliances when they are not in use.
13. A. numbers B. sums C. amounts D. qualities
14. A. explains B. accounts C. provides D. cares
15. A. closing B. reducing C. fixing D. breaking
16. A. which B. there C. whether D. that
17. A. lower B. fewer C. more D. less
18. A. turn off B. turn on C. break down D. break up
IV. Read the passage, then decide if the statements that follow it are True or False. (1.0 pt)
2nd /F, Ruby Plaza
English, German and Chinese evening courses
Classes of all levels available
Modern methods of teaching
COURSES START ON JULY 15
| SMART LEARNWant to be able to speak English with fluency?|
Exam preparation courses for KET, PET or FCE
Well-qualified teachers on offer
Courses begin first week every month
For more information, visit us at
19. Intermediate learners of English can attend classes at Canadian Council.
20. All courses at Canadian Council begin in mid-July.
21. Learners can prepare for French PET certificate exams at Smartlearn.
22. Smartlearn teaching staff are well-trained and experienced.
V. Use the correct form of the word given in each sentence. (1.5 pts)
23. A ______________ storm swept through the countryside at midnight. (disaster)
24. We can store necessary ______________ in a 4GB USB. (inform)
25. Fashion ______________ enjoy an interesting, well-paid job. (design)
26. Geographic Channel is a popular ______________ program on TV. (science)
27. A complaint letter should be ended ______________. (polite)
28. Rain will reach ______________ areas at the end of this week. (coast)
VI. Use the correct tense or form of the verb given in each sentence. (1.0 pt)
29. Young people are keen on ______________ fashionable clothes. (wear)
30. They ______________ TV all evening yesterday. (watch)
31. Unfortunately, he ______________ three accidents recently. (have)
32. A new photocopier ______________ in last week. (put)
VII. Rewrite each of the following sentences in another way so that it means almost the same as the sentence printed before it. (2.0 pts)
33. Lucie doesn’t swim as fast as her sister.
->Lucie’s sister swims __________________________________________________
34. I’m so sorry I can’t play the piano.
->I wish __________________________________________________
35. “May we use the computer now?” they said to the teacher.
->They asked the teacher __________________________________________________
36. When did she start preparing for her overseas study?
->How long _________________________________________________
Gợi ý đáp án “Đề thi vào lớp 10 Môn Tiếng Anh Sở GD-ĐT Tp HCM năm 2012”
30. WERE WATCHING
33. Lucie’s sister swims faster than her.
34. I wish I could play the piano.
35. They asked the teacher to allow them to use the computer then.
36. How long has she been preparing for her overseas study?