SỞ GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO TẠO HÀ NỘI
KỲ THI TUYỂN SINH VÀO LỚP 10 CHUYÊN THPT
Năm học: 2011 – 2012
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh (Điều kiện)
Ngày thi: 23 – 6 – 2011
Thời gian làm bài: 120 phút
(Đề thi gồm 04 trang. Thí sinh làm bài vào tờ giấy thi này và không được sử dụng bất kỳ loại tài liệu nào kể cả từ điển. Giám thị không giải thích gì thêm.)
I. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR (3,75 pts)
Circle the best option A, B, C or D to complete each of the following sentences.
1. He is my brother. ________ name is Bill.
A. He B. His C. Her D. She
2. It’s raining heavily, come my umbrella.
A. with B. under C. for D. to
3. Don’t worry, your luggage will be looked __________.
A. after B. over C. at D. upon
4. Do you know what __________? – I can’t remember.
A. is his name B. his name is C. was his name D. his name was
5. Your father’s sister is your __________.
A. niece B. cousin C. aunt D. sister
6. He is not __________ in politics.
A. interest B. interests C. interesting D. interested
7. Let’s go somewhere else. There’s noise in this room.
A. too many B. too much C. enough D. too
8. That is the man I think hit me yesterday.
A. who B. whose C. which D. whom
9. Could you tell me who is responsible __________ passports?
A. to check B. checking C. about checking D. for checking
10. The person who____ in charge of a car is the conductor.
A. is B. are C. was D. were
11. The librarian asked us__________ so much noise.
A. not to make B. no make C. not making D. don’t make
12. We are always proud ___________ our country.
A. about B. on C. of D. to
13. She put ___________ speaking to him as long as possible.
A. off B. over C. away D. by
14. Would you like ____________ and __________ me next summer?
A. come / visit B. coming / visit C. to come / visit D. coming / visiting
15. We can’t go along here because .
A. the rood is been repaired
B. the road is being repaired
C. the road is repairing
D. the road is repaired
Complete the following sentences with the correct forms of the words in the brackets.
16. Do you know the man _____________ near the door? (stand)
17-18. My friend’s hobby is ______________ (collect) stamps. He is a stamp_______________. (collect)
19. Hard work always brings _________________. (succeed)
20. The advantage of living in the countryside is that the air is . (pollute)
Give the correct tense form of the verbs in the brackets to complete the sentences.
21. Would you like _____________ (go) for a walk with me?
22. When you ____________ (visit) him, give him my best wishes.
23-24. Nam ______________ (listen) to the music when the phone __________ (ring).
25. Look! The school boys _____________ (play) chess in the classroom.
26. I am going to bed. I (work) _____________ four hours and I am very tired.
27-28. The children were frightened because the lights ____________ (go) out and they (sit) in the dark.
29-30. We are going (have) our house (repair) next month.
READING (3,125 pts)
Fill in each blank with a suitable word to complete the passage.
…Tet or the Lunar New Year holiday is (31) ___________ most important celebration for Vietnamese people. Tet is a festival (32) ____________ occurs in late January or early February. It is a time (33) families to clean and decorate their homes, and enjoy special food such as sticky rice cakes. Family (34) ____________ who live apart try to be together at Tet.
…Easter is a joyful festival which is celebrated (35) ___________ many countries. It happens at around the same time as Passover. (36) ____________ Easter Day, young children receive chocolate or sugar eggs – as long as they are good. In many countries, (37) ____________crowd the streets to watch colorful parades.
Read the passage and do the following task.
HALLOWEEN IN AMERICA
Halloween was introduced to America by Irish immigrants around the 1840s. The holiday was also known by the name Devil’s Night or Hell Night. People played mischievous tricks on their neighbors. For instance, they might steal some of their eggs from the hen house.
In today’s times it has become more family-oriented with Halloween custom, games like “bobbing for apples” or a contest for the most original costume.
To bob for apples: place apples in a large tub filled with water. With their hands tied behind the backs, people try to catch one of these apples using their teeth. The person catching the most apples wins the game.
Decide which ones are True (T) or False (F).
________ 38. Irish people introduced Halloween to America.
________ 39. People knew Halloween by the name Hell Night.
________ 40. People stole eggs from the hen houses of their neighbors.
________ 41. Halloween is not considered to be more family-oriented nowadays.
________ 42. People don’t wear anything special for Halloween.
________ 43. People have an apple to play this game.
________ 44. In the game “bobbing for apples”, apples are placed in water.
________ 45. People try to catch apples with their hands.
Read this letter from someone who is doing a language course in France. Circle the best option A, B, C or D.
Dear Mom and Dad,
This is just a quick letter to let you know that I’m fine. We’re all working quite hard because the exams are only a few weeks away, but ‘our teacher says he thinks we’ll do well. (My landlady’s not so sure – she keeps telling me I should stop watching so much TV and do a bit more reading.)
Anyway, we had a wonderful time at half term. I went off to Paris for a few days (46) ________ some of the others from the school, and we went on a guided (47)____________ of the city. We saw most of the famous (48) like the Louvre, where they have an amazing (49) of paintings, and the Eiffel Tower. Then we went down to the south of France (50)_________train. It was so fast – the whole (51) was only about four hours. We spent (52) time in Nice and in Cannes as well, and we all really enjoyed it. On our last day we went to a small island called the Ile des Pelerins, and we saw the castle (53) the ‘Man in the Iron Mask’. All in all, we had a great time and the weather was really good as well. The only thing I felt (54) about was that we didn’t have enough time to spare to go swimming – maybe next time.
Anyway, I must go now as I’ve got to do a lot of (55) for tomorrow. Will you write soon.
46. A. by B. to C. with D. together
47. A. trip B. visit C. tour D. excursion
48. A. shows B. sights C. views D. looks
49. A. set B. group C. gallery D. collection
50. A. in B. by C. with D. on
51. A. voyage B. travel C. drive D. journey
52. A. little B. a little C. few D. a few
53. A. are used to keeping B. are used to keep C. used to keep D. used to keeping
54. A. sorry B. apologetic C. displeased D. anxious
55. A. homework B. home work C. homeworks D. home works
WRITING (3,125 pts)
Put these words in the correct order to make meaningful sentences.
56. Hyde Park / a / place / for / good / in / is / fine / weather / camping
57. Jane / with / promised / keep / in / has / touch / is / us / to / while / in / she / Australia.
58. What / do / of / English / you / learning / find / most / aspect / difficult
59.If / down / in / there / will / you / forests / be / floods / cut / trees / , / big / the / every year / the
60. The / convenient / Internet / a / fast / and / way / to get / update / information / is / which / is / . /
61. Thanks / television / to / , / information / get / and / programs / can / latest / enjoy / the / inexpensive / way / and / convenient / interesting / people / in / an / . ___________________________________________________________________________________________
62. Keep / passport / asked / in case / you / your / are / to / it / at / handy / customs / show / . /
63. In / going / the / , / we / boating / afternoon / in / river / and / the / had / picnic / went / on / the / a river / before / home / late / in / evening / the / bank / . /
There is ONE mistake in each sentence below. Underline and correct it.
64. Stay on bed until you feel better to go to work. 64. __________________
65. Would you mind to go to the local bookstore to get some more new books? 65. __________________
66. My brother and me are members of this club. 66. __________________
67. The movie was so bored that we fell asleep after an hour. 67. __________________
68. Water-colors dry more faster than other paints. 68. __________________
69. It usually makes us 20 minutes to go to school on foot every day. 69. __________________
70. It was only when he got on the bus that he remembered not to lock the front door. 70. __________________
71. Preserving natural resources mean reserving them for our culture. 71. __________________
72. I have never hear a more amusing story than this one. 72. __________________
73. They suggested ban the sale of alcohol at football matches. 73. __________________
Rewrite these sentences using the suggested words in the brackets. Do not change the words given in any way.
74. My mother is going to give me a new bike. (A new bike)
75. “Remember to book a table for tomorrow afternoon, Jane” he said. (He reminded)
76. “Shall we go to the nightclub?” Mike said. (Mike suggested)\
77. John is one of my closest friends. I have known him for three years. (whom)
78. Working so much will make you tired. (If)
79. How long have you learnt Japanese? (How long ago)
80. It has been reported that the chancellor is very satisfied with his visit to Japan. (been)