Đề thi tuyển sinh vào lớp 10 THPT Chuyên tỉnh Bắc Ninh năm 2009
ĐỀ THI TUYỂN SINH VÀO LỚP 10 THPT
NĂM HỌC : 2009 – 2010
Môn thi: Tiếng Anh
Thời gian làm bài: 120 phút
(Không kể thời gian giao đề)
A. PHONETICS (10 POINTS)
I. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others in each group. (5 points)
- A. climate B. comic C. hike D. website
- A. worked B. laughed C. hoped D. naked
- A. cover B. category C. ancient D. decorate
- A. erupt B. humor C. UFO D. communicate
- A. Buddhish B. bomb C. viable D. bulb
II. Choose the word ( A, B, C or D) whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others. (5 points)
1. A. comprise B. depend C. design D. novel
2. A. tropical B. collection C. tendency D. charity
3. A. friendliness B. occasion C. pagoda D. deposit
4. A. importing B. specific C . impolite D. important
5. A. federation B. unpolluted C. disappearing D. profitable
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR (35 POINTS)
I. Choose the best answer to complete each sentence. (10 points)
1. All the sentences below use “the”, which is the correct one?
A. Can you pass the sugar please? B. The crime is a problem in many big cities.
C. The apples are good for you. D. I love the skiing.
2. Our friends have lived in Ho Chi Minh city_______ 2002.
A. for B. since C. in D. about
3. He prefers soccer______ tennis.
A. from B. than C. to D. or
4. If they worked more carefully, they _____ so many mistakes.
A. won’t make B. don’t make C. wouldn’t make D. didn’t make
5. He _______to his friend’s party when his parents asked him to go home.
A. goes B. was going C. went D. has gone
6. There’s a strange man behind us. I think ______.
A. we are followed B. we are being followed
C. we are being following D. we are following
7. Which of the following is the strongest advice?
A. You should get a hair- cut. B. If I were you, I’d get a hair-cut.
C. You ought to get a hair- cut. D. You really must get a hair- cut.
8. ________ you mind if I use your dictionary?
A. Will B. Do C. Can D. Did
9. Mr. Vo Van Kiet, _______ was our former Prime Minister, was born in Vinh Long.
A. that B. whose C. Who D. whom
10. All that rubbish will have to be ________ at once.
A. get rid of B. got rid of C. got rid D. getting rid of
II. Give the correct form of the verbs in brackets to complete the following sentences. (10 points)
1. My friend was (make)_____ (pay)_______ back the book.
2. Hardly he (take) ________ up the book when the phone (ring) ________.
3. Can you imagine what I (come) _______ across when I (roll) ________ up the carpet yesterday?
4. If she wins the prize, it (be) __________because she (write) ______very well.
5. He resented (ask) ______ (wait) _______. He had expected the minister to see him at once.
III. Give the correct form of the word in brackets to complete each sentence. (10 points)
1. A lot of toys encourage children’s_________. (imagine)
2. The factory has provided cheaper__________ lately. (produce)
3. Burning coal is an _______ way of heating a house. Gas is much cheaper. (economy)
4. According to some scientists the earth is losing its outer atmosphere because of_____. ( pollute)
5. She has one of the biggest art________ in Britain. ( collect)
6. __________ has caused many so-called man-made disasters. (forest)
7. __________ often walk through the streets shouting or singing about something they sell. (cry)
8. Gas and oil________ always increases in cold weather. (consume)
9. The police are interested in the sudden________ of the valuable painting. (appear)
10. He claimed that his___________ had caused him to become a criminal. (bring up)
IV. Each of the following sentences has four words or phrases underlined. The four underlined parts of the sentence are marked A, B, C, D. You are to identify the one underlined word or phrase that should be corrected or rewritten. (5 points)
1. Preserving natural resources mean reserving them for our future.
A B C D
2. Despite of the increase in air fares, most people still prefer to travel by plane.
A B C D
3. Regardless of your teaching method, the objective of any conversation class should be for
students to practice speaking words.
4. The injured man was taken to the hospital.
A B C D
5. In order for one to achieve the desired results in this experiment, it is necessary that he work as fastly as possible.
A B C D
C. READING (30 POINTS)
I. The reading is followed by several questions about it. There are four possible answers (A, B, C, or D) for each question. Choose the best answer. (15 points)
Few people can embody the spirit of early America as much as Benjamin Franklin. He lived through almost the whole of the eighteenth century, being born six years after, and dying ten years before it ended. In this time he saw the American colonies grow from tiny settlements into a nation, and he also contributed much to the development of the new state.
At the age of 17 Franklin ran away to Philadelphia. He had already received some training as a printer’s apprentice, and this helped him seven years later, with his first publication, the Pennsylvania Gazette. He also received a contract to do government printing work, which helped him to rise from his poor background to become a successful entrepreneur. Some of his experience in business was shared in his famous Poor Richard’s Almanak, which established his reputation throughout the American colonies. In another of his works, the Autobiography, which was written toward the end of his life, he shows the same quiet common sense.
He was deeply interested in science and natural history, and his experiments with electricity and lightning led directly to the invention of the lightning rod. He was also interested in improving the conditions of his fellow men. He was involved in a number of projects in his native Philadelphia, including the setting up of a library, a university, a philosophical society, and–because he was a pragmatic man–a fire prevention service. In 1753 he became Postmaster–General of the colonies. Through this experience he began to develop the idea that the colonies of North America should be a single nation. Later, he went to London to try to persuade the British government to change the conditions, especially the taxes, that later led the American colonists into rebellion.
Whatever Benjamin Franklin’s personal feelings about the rebellion of the American states, he worked hard to make it succeed. As ambassador to France, he encouraged the French to help George Washington. After the war he attended the American constitutional congress. This was his last contribution, for he died later that year. He is still fondly remembered by Americans as one of the creators of the United States.
1. What is a good description for this text?
A. An autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. B. The life of Benjamin Franklin.
C. The works of Benjamin Franklin. D. Franklin and American Independence.
2. When was Benjamin Franklin born?
A. 1806 B. 1794 C. 1717 D. 1706
3. Which of these happened first?
A. Franklin trains as a painter. B. Franklin runs away to Philadelphia.
C. the American colonies rebel D. Franklin starts his first publication.
4. What was Poor Richard’s Almanak about?
A. Franklin’s reputation. B. How to succeed in business.
C. how to do government printing. D. The text does not say.
5. In which countries did Franklin live?
A. England and France. B. Philadelphia and England.
C. London and America. D. England, America and France.
II. Read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only one word in each space. There is an example at the beginning (0). (15 points)
SAVING THE TIGER.
In 1973, when the tiger appeared to (0) be facing extinction, the World Wide Fund for nature and __(1)____ Indian Government agreed to set ___(2)__ “Operation Tiger” – a campaign __(3)___ save this threatened creature. They started by creating nine special parks ___ (4) ___ that tigers could live in safety. The first was at Ramthambhore , a region ___(5)__ was quickly turning into a desert __(6)__ too much of the grass was being eaten by the local people’s cattle. At the time there ____(7)__ just fourteen tigers left there. The government had to clear twelve small villages, which means moving nearly 1,000 people and 10,000 cattle so the land __ (8) __ be handed back to nature.
Today, Ramthambhore is a very different place, with grass tall ___(9)___ for tigers to hide in, and There are now at _(10)___ forty of them __(11)__ the park, wandering freely about. Other animals have also benefited. For example, there are many ___(12)____ deer and monkeys than before. The people __(13)__ were moved are now living in better conditions. They live in new villages away __(14)___ the tiger park, with schools, temples and fresh water supplies. There are now sixteen such tiger parks in India and the animals’ future looks ___ (15)____ little safer.
D. WRITING (25 POINTS)
I. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the sentence printed before it, begin with the given word(s) or phrase. (20 points)
1. You should review your lessons for the exam.
-> It’s time____________________________________________________________
2.That man used to work with me when I lived in New York.
3.What a pity they close the shops at lunch- time.
->I wished ____________________________________________________________
4. We like ice- cream but we don’t have it every day.
5.When did you start working in that factory?
->How long ___________________________________________________________
6. Oil was slowly covering the sand of the beach.
->The sand ___________________________________________________________
7. “ Where’ s the station car- park?” Mrs. Smith asked.
-> Mrs. Smith asked ____________________________________________________
8. He was sorry he hadn’t said goodbye to her at the airport.
-> He regretted _________________________________________________________
9. I advise you not to buy that car.
-> If _________________________________________________________________
10. Why don’t you ask her yourself?
->I suggest that _______________________________________________________
II. Make full sentences based on given cues. (5 points)
- If you/ not go/ the party/ I / go/ either.
- Unless/ I/ have/ quiet room/ I/ not/ able/ do/ work.
- nurse/ kind enough/ help him/ walk.
- He/ rather spend/ holidays/ a farm/ seaside.
- I/ return/ visit/ Japan. It/ wonderful trip.
Đáp án chi tiết “Đề thi tuyển sinh vào lớp 10 THPT Chuyên tỉnh Bắc Ninh năm 2009”
I. Choose the word in each that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others in each group.(5pts) ( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
|1. B||2. D||3. C||4. A||5. B|
II. Choose the word whose main stress pattern is not the same as that of the others.(5pts) ( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
|1. D||2. B||3. A||4. C||5. D|
B: VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR(35pts)
I.Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.(10pt)s( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
|1. A||2. B||3. C||4. C||5. B||6. B||7. D||8. B||9. C||10. B|
II. Give the correct form of the verbs in brackets to complete the following sentences. (10pts)( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
- made – to pay 3. came – was rolling
- had he taken – rang 4. will be – writes 5. being asked – to wait
III. Give the correct form of the word in brackets to complete each sentence.(10pts)(mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ, nếu viết đượcc từ nhưng thiếu “s” thì từ đó vẫn không được tính điểm)
|1. imagination||2. products||3. uneconomical|
|4. pollution||5. collections|
|6. Deforestation||7. Criers||8. consumption||9. disappearance|
re – appearance
IV. Each of the following sentences has four words or phrases underlined. The four underlined parts of the sentence are marked A, B, C, D. You are to identify the one underlined word or phrase that should be corrected or rewritten.(5pt) (mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
|1. B||2. A||3. D||4. D||5. C|
C. READING (30PTS)
I. The reading is followed by several questions about it. There are four possible answers (A, B, C, or D) for each question. Choose the best answer.(15pts) ( mỗi câu viết đúng được 3đ)
|1. B||2. D||3. A||4. B||5. D|
II. Read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only one word in each space. There is an example at the beginning (0) (15pts) (( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
|1. the||2. up||3. to||4.so||5. that/which|
|6. since/as/ because/for||7. were||8. might/could||9. enough||10. least|
|11. in||12. more||13. who/ that||14. from||15. a|
D: WRITING (25pts)
I. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the sentence printed before it, begin with the given word(s) or phrase.(20pts( mỗi câu viết đúng được 2đ)
- (It’s time) you reviewed your lessons for the exam.
- (That’s) the man who used to work with me when I lived in New York.
- (I wish) they would open the shops at lunch time/ Or. (I wished) they wouldn’t close the shops at lunch time.
- (Although) we like ice- cream, we don’t have it everyday.
- (How long) have you been working in that factory?
- ( The sand) of the beach was being slowly covered by oil.
- ( Mrs. Smith asked) (me) where the station car-park was.
- (He regretted) not saying/ having said goodbye to her at the airport.
- (If I) were you, I wouldn’t by that car.
- (I suggest that) you (should) ask her yourself.
II. Make full sentences based on given cues. (5 points) ( mỗi câu viết đúng được 1đ)
- If you don’t go to the party, I won’t go either.
- Unless I have a quiet room, I will not/ won’t be able to do my homework/ any work.
- The nurse is /was kind enough to help him (to) walk.
- He would rather spend his holidays on a farm than at the seaside.
- I have (just) returned from a visit to Japan. It was a wonderful trip.